Monday, September 26, 2011

I'm new to the blogging world...

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but I'm new to blogs.  I know what a blog is and have stumbled across blogs while surfing the internet but the only real experience I've had is with my neighborhood blog.  My neighborhood here in DC has a blog that I've looked at a bunch of times to see what's new as far as construction and development because for the last 5 years or so we have been going through a major transition.  A few years ago they built a Target and a bunch of other stores right at the end of my street.  The people who live here would write in what they knew and what they heard about the development.  I was disappointed when I started viewing entries that were anger driven and it seemed that it turned into a spot for a few people to rant and rave at each other.  I wasn't alone, some residents wrote in expressing their irritation.

I enjoyed the first 3 chapters in Richardson's text and learned a lot about the history of the read/write web, what a blog is, uses for and types of blogs and blogs in schools.  I'm not a classroom teacher but I started thinking about ways teachers can use blogs in the classroom.  The school I work at is an Expeditionary Learning school and they do some peer to peer teaching and critique.  A classroom blog for that purpose would be a great fit and the students would love it!  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lara! Although you're new to the blogging world as I am as well, hopefully this one will be on a more positive note. The thing with public blogs is that people do you use them to vent and then take their anger out on others, so it gets very ugly at times! I know the area you're speaking about...it has come a long way! I haven't been shopping over there yet, but I definitely can see why some residents could be irritated!

    Enjoy your blogging experience!!! See you next week!!!

    Jada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara- I am also new to blogging, only stumbling upon them when Googling something else. I find it fascinating that your neighborhood has a blog. I don't think I would enjoy that very much. As you stated, blogs and discussion boards often become battlefields of heated discussion.

    ReplyDelete